Down Home North Carolina (DHNC) seeks a full-time, temporary Data Manager to aid in our 2022 elections programming. This year Down Home North Carolina is planning the largest organizing program our organization has ever attempted. We plan to expand into multiple new counties from the mountains in the West to the coast out East in order to grow our movement of working class people. Down Home is working to engage voters in small towns and rural areas through base building, leadership development, and canvassing. We are committed to building a long term base of working-class power through both community organizing and participating in elections on all levels of government.
The Data Manager will support the data needs of Down Home’s 2022 elections program as well as help support our ongoing internal membership database. We are looking for a Data Manager who will help us continue to grow as an organization across the state and make our data systems work better through improving our internal membership database and support our elections work through voter targeting and making the best use of our direct voter contact tools. The Data Manager will work directly with Down Home’s Field staff to support the building of multi-racial, grassroots political power in our state.
The ideal candidate is someone who is highly motivated to build a powerful multiracial base that wins changes for poor and working-class people in rural North Carolina. They have experience working with elections data, are an independent worker, have strong attention to detail, strong communication skills, and are mission aligned. Experience participating in a volunteer or staff capacity on an electoral campaign or a local issue campaign is preferred.
About Down Home North Carolina
Down Home North Carolina is a growing statewide organization of rural and small town communities that advocate for economic, gender, and racial justice. We move North Carolina toward the values of dignity, safety, and inclusion through leadership development, strategic campaigning, multiracial movement building, and civic engagement that advances positive, life-changing reforms for rural communities.
Founded in 2017, Down Home has built a strong organizational track record, including:
- Helping to elect the first Latinx state legislator in NC history
- Winning local campaigns to raise the minimum wage for city workers (Waynesville) and oppose the expansion of local jails
- Growing a statewide membership base that includes all 100 counties of North Carolina
- Anchoring the first southern, rural deep canvass and race-class narrative tests
- Driving statewide coalitions to fight for a just COVID-19 recovery and for Medicaid expansion
Buckets of responsibility:
- Data Management and Analysis
Coordinate the overall data needs of Down Home including our county-level chapters.
- Creating and documenting data management procedures and ensure that staff are following procedures and best practices
- Maintaining activist codes, survey questions and other tags
- Managing, processing and updating bulk data
- Collaborating with staff on legislative and statewide analyses for electoral work
- Creating municipal level analyses for local elections
- Creating analysis of ongoing data generated through issue campaigns, base-building, digital organizing and voter contact efforts — for both internal and external audiences
- Managing Voter File and Digital Organizing Tools
Manage voter file and digital organizing tool access for designated staff and member leaders
- Creating and coordinating all logins and access levels for Down Home in VAN / Voter File
- Creating and implementing systems for Action IDs / logins for member volunteers and for paid canvassers; ensure that staff and member leaders are following protocols
- Collaborating and coordinating regularly with state-level America Votes data staff
- Managing and supporting organizational use of digital tools including (but not limited to) Spoke, ThruTalk, Empower, and Mobilize, including building and loading targeted VAN lists as appropriate
- Voter Targeting and Contact
Providing close data support to the voter contact efforts of Down Home including canvassing, phone banking, texting and other voter contact methods
- Supporting the creation of universes for voter contact, based on strategic considerations for upcoming electoral cycles and attention to the long-term efforts to build voting base and membership
- Cutting turf for volunteer and paid canvasses and/or coordinating and supervising turf cutting by staff
- Developing target lists for digital outreach across multiple platforms, including use of digital targeting tools linked to voter data
- Tracking voter contact and produce daily, weekly and monthly reports as needed
- Communicating voter contact tracking to organizational directors, field directors and county level organizers
- Participating in ongoing strategic conversations informing 2022 electoral efforts
- Staff and Member Training / Support
Develop and lead data organizing + digital training for county-level chapters, in collaboration with state-level data staff within the NC progressive infrastructure
- Create and implement basic voter file training for staff and member-leaders and support our staff to be able to train member-leaders
- Create and implement basic digital voter contact trainings for staff and member-leaders (e.g. Spoke, ThruTalk, VPB, Empower, EveryAction, MiniVAN.) — and support our staff to be able to train member-leaders
- EveryAction / Membership and Volunteer Management
Administer EveryAction for Down Home
- Creating basic membership management structures for Down Home EveryAction. Update and streamline membership management structures
- Working with chapters at the staff to integrate EveryAction into their ongoing organizing, base-building, member tracking and membership dues payments
- Transitioning existing non-EveryAction data collections into EveryAction (e.g. Google Sheets, MyCampaign, etc)
- Creating intake systems for volunteers via EveryAction and Mobilize
Required skills and experience:
- Election Data Experience: Experience with voter contact programs and experience in the use of data in candidate or issue-based campaigns. Familiarity with online electoral / advocacy tools and constituent relationship management (CRM) tools. Experience with spreadsheets and data manipulation. Has thorough knowledge of voter contact tools such as NGP VAN, ThruTalk, Spoke, Empower, and Mobilize.
- Independent worker: Be able to manage multiple projects at one time. Ensure that numbers are reported on time with data integrity at the top of mind. Attention to details and be able to provide thoughtful solutions to problems that arise.
- Attention to detail: Notices and fixes errors that others might overlook. Acknowledges mistakes and turns them into learning opportunities. Has a track record of leaving things better than they found them. An attention to detail and timelines; an ability to execute complicated sequential steps with rigor and precision, often on a tight deadline.
- Strong Communication Skills: Ability to clearly communicate (with patience and humility) data-related information to audiences who may not have much data background. Be able to have conversations with fellow staff with various amounts of data and campaign knowledge.
- Mission alignment: Committed to the vision of a powerful, inclusive, rural, multiracial, working-class movement-building as a path towards liberation for all people. Is aligned with the idea that building power takes both election programs and long-term base building and investment in communities.
Compensation for this full-time, temporary (approximately 3 month) staff position is $55,000-$65,000 annually and includes best-in-class health and we also offer a relocation stipend. The ideal location for this role is in North Carolina. This can be a remote position.
How to Apply
Down Home NC is committed to creating a dynamic, multicultural, diverse working environment. Candidates of color and diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Down Home NC is an equal opportunity employer. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis with a priority application deadline of August 15th. However if this job description is posted on Down Home’s website (www.downhomenc.org), we are still accepting applications.
Please send a resume and a short cover letter that includes your experience to: [email protected]