Down Home North Carolina (DHNC) is seeking a full-time Western NC Field Organizer to build power through community outreach, relationship building, and leadership development. The Western NC Field Organizer will be responsible for building and supporting a regional network of county-wide, member-led chapters of Down Home North Carolina in rural areas of our state.
This position is included in Down Home North Carolina’s recognized staff union.
The ideal candidate is a people person who is highly motivated to win changes for working-class people. They have the ability to draw on significant past experience as either a professional organizer or a dedicated grassroots leader. They are goal-oriented with a high degree of personal organization, and enjoy making and executing detailed plans. This is a great role for seasoned community organizers, as well as dedicated local residents with significant experience in grassroots political organizing.
About Down Home North Carolina
Down Home North Carolina’s mission is to build a statewide organization of rural and small town communities that advances real reforms for working-class rural communities. We will move North Carolina toward the values of dignity, safety, and inclusion through leadership development, strategic campaigns, multiracial movement building, and civic engagement.
- Identify and support local member-leaders to build and launch strong and growing Down Home NC chapters. This will include both broad community outreach and individually-tailored 1:1 training and relationship building.
- Develop and launch county-specific campaigns to transform power and win real victories for our members.
- Track and maintain real-time records of membership and organizing efforts.
- Launch and lead canvassing operations as part of broad community listening programs.
- Integrate chapter work with Down Home NC’s collective statewide campaigns, including expanding Medicaid, responding to the overdose crisis, and raising the minimum wage.
- Contribute to a dynamic and growing staff culture at Down Home NC.
We are seeking candidates who are passionate about rural organizing, who excel at relationship building and time management, are results-oriented, and thrive in fast-paced, demanding work environments. You should have:
- 2 or more years of experience as a professional field organizer, or equivalent grassroots experience
- Excellent verbal communication skills, including strong interpersonal skills
- A track record of developing and maintaining strong working relationships with and among a diverse group of stakeholders
- Excellent time-management skills, including the ability to plan your time and work toward long-term goals
- Comfort with dynamic and fast-paced work environments
- A demonstrated ability to work effectively with individuals of diverse races, socio-economic statuses, housing statuses, variations in hygiene, ethnicities, ages, sexual orientations, and people who inject drugs
- A demonstrated passion and commitment to racial and economic justice
Compensation for this full-time, permanent staff position is $55,000-$65,000 annually and includes health and retirement benefits. Some irregular hours are required, including occasional nights and weekends. Location is flexible. Applicants must be able and willing to travel regularly for work.
Down Home NC is committed to creating a dynamic, multi-cultural, diverse working environment. Candidates of color and diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Down Home NC is an equal opportunity employer and a unionized workplace.
Please send a resume and a short cover letter that includes your experience working with organizations to: [email protected]