Multiple Rural Locations: Alamance County / Cabarrus County
About Down Home NC
Down Home NC was founded on the belief that small towns and rural areas cannot be
ignored if we want to see progressive change at the state and national levels. Through
deep organizing, leadership development, and multiracial movement-building, we work
to build permanent infrastructure that amplifies the voices and power of rural working
people and the issues that concern them most.
The core purpose of our work is to empower multiracial, rural, low-income communities
to make their voices heard in the political process. In the 2020 election, we’re backing
candidates across five counties to make a change at the local level and to help flip the
State House. For more information about Down Home, please visit our website
Our Challenge and Why We Want You
Down Home is neighbors, rooted in the community, coming together to create change.
We’re a canvass kickoff with homemade food and a party at the end of the day. We’re
an hour-long meeting where our members hash out the details of our endorsement
platform. We’re people people.
In order to put the safety and wellbeing of our communities first, Down Home’s entire
2020 electoral program will be done remotely. Organizing entirely online during
COVID-19 has been a challenge – but it’s the deep relationships we were built on that
give us a unique opportunity to make change in 2020. We’re seeking experienced
Organizers who can run county-wide Relational Voter Turnout (RVT) campaigns that
will get our candidates elected and help us transition our work into online spaces.
About the Regional Lead Position
The core function of RVT is teaching volunteers to talk to their friends and family about
what issues matter the most to them. It thrives on personal story sharing, active
listening, and a passion for the issues our communities face.
As a Regional Lead you will build robust volunteer teams using online spaces by:
● Identifying new leaders who are ready to join Down Home and engage in our
● Coaching teams of volunteers through online training, 1:1 meetings, and
dynamic group spaces
● Finding creative ways to engage volunteers around the election; testing new
ideas to learn what works
● Meeting goals for voter contact, volunteer recruitment, and leadership
● Holding volunteer leaders accountable to ambitious goals; providing coaching
and support in hitting them
● Tracking large amounts of data using VAN, Empower, and Google Spreadsheets
● Working with Down Home members and leadership to improve the program by
seeking and implementing feedback
● Building a team culture that is nurturing, innovative, and inspired to win
What We’re Looking For
Here are the experiences that would make you a good fit:
● Experience building volunteer teams
● Demonstrated ability to meet campaign goals and metrics
● Demonstrated ability to track and manage large quantities of data; experience
with VAN is preferred but other systems will do
● Experience using relational organizing tools and tactics preferred
Here are the qualities that will make you a good fit:
● Lives in or is from either Alamance or Cabarrus; preference for folks who
currently live there
● Commitment to building multi-racial and working-class power in North Carolina
● Desire to learn and grow as a leader
● Creative problem solver who’s not afraid to try new things
● Team player; asks for help, offers help
● Ready to get down with whatever these elections throw our way
At Down Home, we recognize that not everybody is in a position to take a full-time job
organizing in their community. If you’re someone who spends a lot of time working with
community members already and is looking for an opportunity to begin a career in
Organizing, we would like to encourage you to apply.
Compensation, Benefits, Timeline
You will be compensated at the equivalent of $55,000 per year. This contract goes
through November 15th, 2020.
How to Apply
Please send your resume and 2-3 references to [email protected] using the
subject line “Regional Lead Application” and your name. No cover letter necessary.
Instead please include one paragraph in your email about why this election matters to
you. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis. Ideally, this position will begin in late