Down Home North Carolina is hiring part-time canvassers to support our member-led electoral work, primarily by talking to community members about why their vote matters in 2020.
We are looking to hire highly motivated and outgoing individuals who are passionate about building power for working people. With training and support from Down Home NC staff, canvassers will call person to person & talk with community members, discuss the impact of COVID-19 on our communities and the upcoming election, and inform people about the vision and mission of Down Home NC. This is an electoral effort to reach poor and working people and build their collective power. No formal work experience or canvass experience is required, but a demonstrated commitment to taking action to improve your community is critical.
This is a temporary part-time position starting August 31st through Election Day. We will begin hiring immediately and encourage candidates to apply ASAP. Canvassers will report to their Team Leads and work mostly afternoon and evening hours. The position pays $15 an hour and is performed remotely.
About Down Home North Carolina
Down Home NC was founded on the belief that small towns and rural areas cannot be ignored if we want to see progressive change at the state and national level. Through deep organizing, leadership development, multiracial movement building, and civic engagement, we work to build permanent infrastructure that amplifies the voices and power of rural working people and their issues. We are a nonpartisan organization dedicated to building power for low income North Carolinians. Our key strategy is broad-based civic engagement to empower multiracial, rural, low-income communities to make their voices heard in the political process. We fight for accessible communities, racial justice, safety for our immigrant neighbors, and investment in the lives of poor and working people.
- Engage with voters through one-on-one phone canvassing
- Inform people on the mission of Down Home NC and the issues we work on
- Complete daily and weekly reports on progress and meet all goals and metrics
- Effectively use technology and other tools to ensure accurate and timely data entry after completing each shift
- Participate and complete all required training & 1 to 1 coaching sessions
- Job requires working on a computer for long periods of time
- Emotional resilience
- Assertive eagerness to take risks and try new things
- Capacity to listen without judgment and be honest and vulnerable in return
- Interest in talking with people who think differently from them
- Willingness to take coaching and feedback
- Must be over 18 years old.
- Have excellent communication skills; comfortable speaking with strangers & people from different backgrounds.
- Ability to work in communities of color, low-income communities, and rural communities.
- Ability to learn and discuss the mission, programs, and work of Down Home NC.
- Ability to work with other staff and canvassers in a team.
- Zoom downloaded on laptop or desktop computer
Down Home NC is committed to creating a dynamic, multicultural, diverse working environment. Candidates of color and diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Down Home NC is an equal opportunity employer.
How to apply:
Please send a resume and cover letter to: [email protected]