Location: North Carolina
Down Home North Carolina is seeking a full-time, permanent Digital Organizer to build power in rural communities using digital tools and platforms as part of our ongoing community outreach, relationship building, and leadership development efforts. This organizer will be responsible for developing and implementing digital organizing strategies that reach new communities, engage supporters, and create pathways that bring rural North Carolinians into our organizing work. This position is a part of Down Home’s Communications Team: We are committed to building powerful, multiracial working-class power through both community organizing and electoral strategy at all levels of government.
The ideal candidate for this position is a strategic people-person who is highly motivated to build a powerful, multiracial, rural base through digital communications. They are experienced in organizing and developing leaders using digital tools and systems. They have the ability to draw on significant past experience as either a professional organizer or a dedicated grassroots leader. They are goal-oriented with a high degree of personal organization, and they enjoy making and executing detailed plans, using data to inform strategy, and can recruit, train, and develop teams of volunteers. They are a strong manager, and have experience coordinating and moving projects from start to finish. They are committed to building political power for the working-class.
About Down Home
Down Home is a growing statewide organization of rural and small town communities that advocate for economic, gender, and racial justice. We move North Carolina toward the values of dignity, safety, and inclusion through leadership development, strategic campaigning, multiracial movement building, and civic engagement that advances positive, life-changing reforms for poor and working-class rural communities.
Buckets of responsibility:
- Develop an integrated digital organizing plan that engages Down Home supporters in our work online and connects them to the on-the-ground work of the organization; use digital tools (email lists, online action platforms, social media, website, etc) to connect supporters with organizational campaigns.
- Design a clear digital path for people to join our movement from digital entry through action; put in place the components of this plan and manage, track, and evaluate the engagement of our digital constituency; construct a concise ladder of engagement that moves individuals into deeper connection and commitment to our movement
- Develop interactive content to enhance engagement and mobilize constituents into organizing; create written and visual content, online actions, and platforms that moves rural North Carolinians along a path into the organization’s work; work with Communications director to ensure narrative and brand consistency
- Recruit and lead small teams of digital volunteers to execute digital strategy, especially on local social media platforms; develop campaign plans that help volunteer teams execute and achieve goals.
- Track, report, and analyze all metrics and modify plans based on learnings; develop systems to track member engagement to ensure success.
- Contribute to a growing, creative, and dynamic staff culture at Down Home.
Required skills and experience:
- Organizer orientation: Demonstrated ability to authentically build relationships, trust, and credibility with community members and across race, gender, and class. Ability to motivate and inspire others to take action. Demonstrated experience leading teams. Ability to mobilize constituents from online engagement into offline action. Ability to recruit and train volunteers.
- Experienced communicator: Has shown the ability to communicate with both individuals and large groups of people across race and class for a cause or a campaign, especially online, to build trust and credibility with people and communities. Has experience working in communications or organizing through electoral campaigns, nonprofits, grassroots causes, or other entities.
- Project management skills: Is able to build systems and projects quickly, accomplish goals under tight deadlines, and handle multiple projects with multiple constituents and audiences at once. Has the ability to inspire a team, build relationships, and hold the team accountable to our goals. Proven ability to manage a complex schedule and responsibilities with minimal support or oversight.
- Strategic Orientation: Is able to work to develop systems that track engagement and use this data to inform and adjust strategy throughout a project. Is able to create comprehensive project plans that scale overtime.
- Tech skills: Is familiar with basic communications technologies including Word Press, CRM/Email Databases, Social Media, Facebook/Meta Business Manager, Google Ads, EveryAction, Action Builder, basic video editing, basic graphic design programs, etc. and brings creatives new tech-based ideas for outreach and engagement.
- Mission alignment: Committed to the vision of powerful, inclusive, rural, multiracial, working-class movement-building as a path towards liberation for all people. Is aligned with the idea that building power takes both election programs and long-term base building and investment in communities.
Personal or professional experience living in rural communities, living in the South, and/or organizing/being an activist in the South are a plus but not required.
Some irregular hours are required, including nights and weekends. Location is flexible within North Carolina. Applicants must be able and willing to travel occasionally for work. This position includes in person work.
Compensation for this full-time staff position is determined by the candidates’ level of experience and ranges between $59,785 – $70,655 annually and includes best-in-class health and retirement benefits.
How to Apply
Down Home NC is committed to creating a dynamic, multicultural, diverse working environment. Candidates of color and diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Down Home NC is an equal opportunity employer and a unionized workplace.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, with a priority for applications received by March 17, 2023. If this job description is posted on Down Home’s website (www.downhomenc.org), we are still accepting applications.
Please send a resume and a short cover letter that includes your experience working with organizations to: [email protected]