Time Period: August 2nd, 2021 to September 27th, 2021
Compensation: $15.00/hour + daily mileage
Pay schedule: TBD
About Down Home North Carolina
Down Home is an exciting organization dedicated to growing the political power and organizing skills of poor and working class people in North Carolina’s small towns and rural places.
About the Position
- Do you want to help transform the world?
- Are you committed to learning organizing skills?
- Are you a good listener?
- Can you find common ground with people who have different opinions?
- Are you comfortable sharing stories about your own experiences?
- Do you want to learn cutting edge canvassing skills?
If you answered yes to these questions then you are a great candidate to become a deep canvass fellow!
What Deep Canvassing Is
Candid two-way conversations where canvassers ask voters to share voters’ own relevant, emotionally significant experiences and reflect on them in a dialogue.
How Deep Canvassing Works
For this to work, deep canvass trainees need to be able to:
- Listen without judgement, which helps voters feel comfortable sharing their views honestly.
- Listen actively and ask follow-up questions.
- Be willing to share your own stories to help voters feel more comfortable.
- Connect around shared values based on common experiences.
- Deep canvass fellows will receive a full week of paid training prior to participating in a eight-week deep canvass program. Training will focus on organizing skills (story telling, self-interest, phone banking, one to one conversations, event engagement) with an emphasis on deep canvassing skill development
- Must be available 2pm-6pm PM Tuesday-Friday; 11am-3 pm Saturday; off on Sunday and Monday
- Must be able to hit key metrics and goals (conversations and door attempts)
- Must have transportation
- Must be self motivated to engage in multiple deep canvass conversations per shift
- Must be willing to work in a team centered environment
- Track and log conversations via established document capture procedures;
- Debrief conversations each shift with canvass team and canvass lead.
- Participate in regular 1:1 coaching with canvass lead to obtain support and identify additional training needs
- Excellent listening and communication skills. Empathetic and motivational.
- Capacity to listen without judgement.
- Some campaign and/or field organizing experience.
- Experience using VAN and knowledge of Microsoft Word & Excel desirable, but not required.
How to Apply
Fill out this Google Form and we will follow up with you shortly: https://forms.gle/JkvFUZEAGJDE9yUH8