Down Home North Carolina (DHNC) is seeking a full-time, temporary Content Creator to support our content needs as we organize with rural and working-class communities across North Carolina.
The Content Creator will develop work with the Communications Department to create digital, written, social, and video content that reflects our values, uplifts our narrative, and upholds our theory of change.
The Content Creator will be a member of Down Home’s Communications team.
The ideal candidate is a people person who is highly motivated to build and give voice to a powerful multiracial base that wins changes for poor and working-class people in rural places. They are an energetic creator, an experienced storyteller, and a skilled writer and designer.
About Down Home North Carolina
Down Home North Carolina is a growing statewide organization of rural and small-town communities that advocate for economic, gender, and racial justice. We will move North Carolina toward the values of dignity, safety, and inclusion through leadership development, strategic campaigning, multiracial movement building, and civic engagement that advances positive, life-changing reforms for rural communities.
We are unique in our focus on building permanent, statewide organizing infrastructure in North Carolina’s rural places. Through our growing network of member-led, county-based chapters, we are engaged in year-round organizing. Our member-leaders, deeply rooted in their communities, are the heart and soul of We are Down Home’s work. Our organizational mission includes a deep commitment to building multiracial and working-class member leadership, and our chapter culture inspires the deep and necessary commitment required to transform small towns and rural places.
Founded in 2017, Down Home has built a strong organizational track record, including:
- Helping to elect the first Latinx state legislator in state history
- Winning Medicaid expansion for more than 600,000 working Carolinians
- Winning local campaigns to raise the minimum wage for city workers, prevent evictions, and oppose the expansion of local jails
- Growing a statewide membership base that includes all 100 counties of North Carolina
- Establishing member-led chapters across eight counties, stretching from mountains to sea
- Anchoring the first southern, rural deep canvass and race-class narrative tests
- Holding and growing a statewide coalition to fight for public schools
Buckets of Responsibility
- Collaborate with the communications team to develop and create written, digital, social, video, and print content that follows Down Home’s message guidance and theory of change.
- Design content and implement digital strategies that effectively reach and engage our target audience.
- Create digital and social media content that prioritizes conversion into off-line organizing
- Generate fresh and innovative ideas to improve social media presence and reach a wider audience.
- Collaborate with our political team to produce time-sensitive deliverables.
- Support community outreach through social media by promoting events, initiatives, and campaigns to foster community involvement and participation.
- Lead and take ownership of specific projects, ensuring timely delivery and high-quality output.
- Stay informed about the unique issues and challenges faced by poor and working-class communities in rural North Carolina and incorporate that knowledge into content creation and community engagement strategies.
- Trust builder: Ability to establish credibility and respect with colleagues, and an understanding of how to build strong, long-term relationships. Build relationships with staff, members, contractors, and stakeholders. Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate with people from different backgrounds.
- Skilled Creator: Demonstrated ability to create dynamic, engaging content across platforms, both written and visual.
- Skilled Communicator: Ability to take narrative and messaging guidance and turn it into impactful, consumable content.
- Effective project management skills: Demonstrated ability to successfully meet deadlines, set goals, develop realistic work plans and adjust work to meet emerging needs. Highly organized and with strong attention to detail. Proven ability to manage complex schedules, multiple projects, and responsibilities.
- Mission alignment: Committed to the vision of a powerful, inclusive, rural, multiracial, working-class movement-building as a path towards liberation for all people.
Familiarity with Google products, social media platforms and Canva and other design software required; WordPress, EveryAction, and scheduling software preferred. Personal or professional experience living in rural communities, living in the South, and/or organizing in the South are a plus but not required. Requires Experience developing and implementing financial procedures independent judgment, excellent people skills, and excellent written and oral communication skills
Some irregular hours are required, including nights and weekends. Location is flexible within North Carolina. Applicants must be able and willing to travel for in-person meetings as needed.
Compensation for this full-time, temporary staff position (ending December 2024) is $62,000 annually and includes best-in-class health and retirement benefits. We also offer unusual benefits, including a sabbatical policy and relocation stipend. Location is flexible within North Carolina. Applicants must be able and willing to travel regularly for work.
How to Apply
Down Home NC is committed to creating a dynamic, multicultural, diverse working environment. Candidates of color and diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Down Home NC is an equal opportunity employer and a unionized workplace. This role is union eligible.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, with a priority for applications received by March 15th. If this job description is posted on Down Home’s website, we are still accepting applications.
Please send a resume, cover letter, and examples of your content creation work to: [email protected]