Down Home is seeking a full-time, permanent Communications Manager to help plan, implement, and run Down Home’s communications strategy across rural North Carolina. Down Home’s communications strategy aims to activate multiracial, working-class rural North Carolinians through digital, emerging, and traditional communications strategies. We are committed to building a powerful, multiracial base of working-class power through both community organizing and electoral strategy on all levels of government.
The ideal candidate for this position is a strategic people-person who is highly motivated to build a powerful multiracial base that wins changes for poor and working-class people in rural North Carolina through communications. They are an experienced communicator and content creator, a strong manager, have experience coordinating and moving projects from start to finish, and are committed to building power for the working-class.
About Down Home
Down Home is a growing statewide organization of rural and small town communities that advocate for economic, gender, and racial justice. We move North Carolina toward the values of dignity, safety, and inclusion through leadership development, strategic campaigning, multiracial movement building, and civic engagement that advances positive, life-changing reforms for poor and working-class rural communities.
Buckets of responsibility:
- Develop statewide and local campaign communications strategy and messaging, in partnership with colleagues and members of Down Home chapters
- Develop communication strategies to win local and statewide campaigns and in coordination with the Communications Director, Regional Organizing Managers, Organizers, and chapter Members
- Coordinate teams of members, organizers, and managers to develop communication plans for multiple
- campaigns; oversees the execution of these plans
- Solicit content and create content; Coordinate and produce monthly electronic newsletters, organizational blog posts, etc.
- Identifies and trains spokespeople for local campaigns
- Plan, maintain, and execute monthly communications calendar
- Manage multiple groups of volunteers and interns to create content that furthers campaign goals
- Work with vendors, partners, and consultants to create Down Home organizational marketing materials for special projects
Required skills and experience:
- Experienced communicator: Has shown the ability to communicate with large groups of people across race and class for a cause or a campaign; has a true understanding of communication skills including maintaining a communications calendar, crafting talking points, building a strategic arch of communications, and building trust and credibility with people and communities. Has experience working in communications or organizing through electoral campaigns, nonprofits, grassroots causes, or other entities.
- Organizer orientation: Demonstrated ability to authentically build relationships, trust, and credibility with community members and across race and class. Ability to motivate and inspire others to take action. Demonstrated experience training community members and peers in implementing effective communications tactics.
- Project management skills: Is able to build systems and projects quickly, accomplish goals under tight deadlines, and handle multiple projects with multiple constituents and audiences at once. Has the ability to inspire a team, build deep relationships, agitate organizers, and hold the team accountable to our goals. Proven ability to manage a complex schedule and responsibilities with minimal support or oversight.
- Creative Strategist: Is able to work with a team to source, brainstorm, and execute creative communications strategies including digital content, creative events, experimental content, and compelling narratives that maximize engagement and enhance Down Home’s political narrative.
- Tech skills: Is familiar with basic communications technologies including Word Press, CRM/Email Databases, Social Media, Facebook Business Manager, Google Ads, basic video editing, basic graphic design programs, etc.
- Mission alignment: Committed to the vision of powerful, inclusive, rural, multiracial, working-class movement-building as a path towards liberation for all people. Is aligned with the idea that building power takes both election programs and long-term base building and investment in communities.
Personal or professional experience living in rural communities, living in the South, and/or organizing/being an activist in the South are a plus but not required.
Some irregular hours are required, including nights and weekends. Location is flexible within North Carolina. Applicants must be able and willing to travel occasionally for work.
Compensation for this full-time staff position is $55 to $65k annually and includes best-in-class health and retirement benefits.
How to Apply
Down Home NC is committed to creating a dynamic, multicultural, diverse working environment. Candidates of color and diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Down Home NC is an equal opportunity employer and a unionized workplace.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, with a priority for applications received by December 10. If this job description is posted on Down Home’s website (www.downhomenc.org), we are still accepting applications.
Please send a resume and a short cover letter that includes your experience working with organizations to: [email protected]menc.org